The main objectives of the Competition concern, in particular:
- the reorganization and redevelopment of open spaces, in order to make better use of them, also in relation to the COVID emergency, which re-evaluates and favors outdoor activities, in compliance with the rules of sanitary distancing, for recreational activities, cultural, sporting, convivial, of students who live in university residences or are in any case off-site; events all aimed at the student community in synergy with the contiguous neighborhoods and the reference cities in general; such spaces, as highlighted in the title of the competition, must highlight their role and function as welcoming and meeting spaces, of the entire university community, made up not only of students, but of all its components, such as teachers, technicians, administrative staff.
- the reconversion of these spaces in an ecological and environmental sense, through simple and measured actions, aimed in any case at reducing the impermeable surfaces and increasing the supply of greenery and natural shading also in function of the adaptation and mitigation of the imposed environmental conditions from climate change;
- the full accessibility of open spaces and services through design solutions aimed at eliminating architectural barriers and favoring their full usability for disabled people, children, the elderly persons;
- the adoption of measures and actions regarding energy saving
and the preference for the production of energy from renewable
energy sources (solar photovoltaic, solar thermal, other RES); these solutions will be addressed to the redesign of the open spaces, and in perspective also of the vast coverage areas of the canteen spaces and of the other buildings that make up the adjacent building complexes both in Pescara and Chieti;
- the reconnection of open spaces to the system of urban common of the neighborhoods to which they belong, through the strengthening of green mobility systems (pedestrian paths, school streets, cycle paths, zones 30), and the possible elimination and redefinition of the enclosure structures and of physical separation between university service areas and contiguous public spaces, while respecting safety conditions and better management of services.